Wednesday, October 13, 2010

two books that have hit my all-time top ten list



It was pure coincidence that Sarah's Key was our book club choice this month and I will get to that part in a minute. As an avid reader, I had seen this Sarah's Key in bookstores but when I would read the  synopsis I would bypass it simply because it seemed such a sad subject matter and sometimes I just can't do sad when it relates to little children. But, I am a diligent book club reader even if I am late to this bestseller and I downloaded Sarah's Key and then noticed that author Tatiana de Rosnay had just released A Secret Kept on Sept. 15th which sounded like a juicy story to ease me into the sad Sarah's Key one. Within a few pages of the newly-released A Secret Kept I was so hooked to the way this author-journalist writes, the history, the characters, the compelling story, all the Paris references, that I was going to read everything she wrote, sad or not. It doesn't matter in which order you read these two books, just make sure you read them............both of them. And when you are done reading Sarah's Key tell me if you see a subtext to this story as well. I am dying to know if I was reading too much of a moral message into the intertwining (past and present) narrative of this story. 


I say it was coincidence because when I started A Secret Kept I didn't realize that this book club choice would be so perfectly timed to my return from Paris. Both books take place in Paris for the most part (and Noirmoutier Island in A Secret Kept which was fascinating) and I have to tell you I felt like I was still walking down Rue du Bac or through the Marais. Not only will both (or either) books have you turning the pages long into the night, the author compelled me to do several things that tell me it has captured my full attention, take discussion notes, download a book group guide, look up geography, google history, download all her books, turn pages so fast it annoys my husband (the click, click of e-reading on a laptop), hold off the end chapter as long as I can, and feel incredibly lucky that someone made me read these books. And even better, the upcoming Sarah's Key movie stars my favourite actress Kristen Scott Thomas. No US release date yet but it opens in France on October 13th.



I am really good at reading, not so good describing them and I don't want to even come close to spoiling it for you. Just trust me on this............and read them both if you haven't already. If you have read Sarah's Key (like the rest of the world) then you know you are going to love A Secret Kept which is totally unique in it's own right. But I am quite certain I don't have to tell you that anyways. Titiana de Rosnay is just one good storyteller.

Just head to your nearest bookstore or e-reader store. Personally, I haven't bought a real book since I jumped onto e-reading last spring. Our Canadian bookstore named Indigo/Chapters introduced a Kobo e-reader. It is not as fancy as Kindle (books have to downloaded to laptop, then synced to reader but they just introduced a wireless version)) but in my opinion their e-bookstore is far more attractive than Amazon and I love the look of my colour library on my laptop. Surprise, surprise, Canadian Kobo often has new release e-books not available in Amazon. I would know this because I also download Kindle Books to my Mac laptop. So yes, two e-bookstore sources and a library of books so I will never run out of reading material.  The laptop reading method is presently beating the smaller e-reader for a couple reasons: props up in bed nicely, bigger screen, and can check for blog comments (hint) with a click of a tab. Happy reading, however you do it.

28 comments:

  1. Your review makes me want to read these books. I'll be doing it the old-fashioned way, but your description of e-reading makes me curious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I run out of good books so I am off to get both tomorrow. Hope they have them in our small town if not will order them immediately.

    I love it when someone gives me a new author!

    It's real books for me, I love the crackle of the pages as they are turned and the smell of the paper and the ink!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am always looking for a great book, so I will have look these up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My book club read Sarah's Key last month, but I missed that one. Since you mentioned it's sad, I think I will wait a while until I'm ready for something heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the characters name's is Melanie. I'm sold. I'll look for this next time I'm at Borders!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sande, I hope you believe me when I say I am going right to the library. 'Cause I am....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to order these today! ~ not that I don't have a stack of books waiting on me, but you have piqued my interest.

    xo ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sande first I adore you new photo! Now I am very excited to have two new books on my list to read!! Please send me some extra hours in the day!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sande,
    I will go order these now...they sound like the perfect way to ease back home. You may turn me into a reader after all:)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sande, I am just now reading Sarah's Key. My BFF lent it to me, after saying she LOVED it. I wasn't that keen for the same reasons as you, but oh! what a page turner this is. So well written, and compelling. I can barely stand to be at work today, wishing I was reading more. Thanks for the heads up on the next book, can't wait for that one either.

    xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! I am definitely going to add this to my 'Books to be Read' list. It's wonderful when you read a book that is set in a place you know.It just makes the reader so much more involved.Thank you for your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sande, I am off to buy these right away...I love your new pic by the way....xvxv

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sande,
    Thanks so much for the recomendations. I am taking note and will be off to Amazon ASAP !!
    I actually am hopeless when I go into a bookshop. I am totally overwhelmed and I need people like you to tell me what's good. A big thank you to you. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Sande,

    No, so far I've not had the privilege of reading these two books. Thanks for pointing them out to your readers!

    Sunny greetings from Georgia,

    MariettesBacktoBasics

    ReplyDelete
  15. I confess, not much time for reading lately. But these are now on my list, and I was very interested to read about the Kobo....I love the new pic, Sande!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your enthusiastic and passionate response to these books, but, sadly, I just finished "A Secret Kept" and I consider it to be a pretty average book. I really liked some of the well drawn characters, but I thought that the beautiful motor bike riding mortician was just ridiculous. That character spoilt the book for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never heard of these books but I'm off to the book-shop to see if they are available here.
    you've got me inspired Sande! I love Paris and I love books. Voila!!
    ~Dianne~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tatiana de Rosnay's books sounds very interesting. I don't normally read novel(smile) but will be adding these books to my reading list. Thank you for sharing.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sande: Thanks! I had heard of "Sarah's Key" and now must read it. To buy for Kindle (SO much easier for travel next week ) or old-fashioned print...hmmm.
    And yes, I like the new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for these fantastic recommendations, Sande! Like Jackie, I often get overwhelmed in bookstores, as much as I adore them, so recommendations really help me. I also love how passionate you are about reading. Wish I were in your book club!

    Love your new profile photo! xoxo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm like you...I have a hard time doing sad when it relates to children, but you've convinced me. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Putting it on my list. I love getting a book referral...so many thanks!!! BTW, your new photo is great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've read Sarah's key and absolutely LOVED it! I will look for a secret kept. I am convinced it is as wonderful as Sarah's key! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved and was devastated by Sarah's Key. I will also read her new book soon.
    Best,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was incredibly touched by Sarah' s keys and it was on my summer reading list bookmark that I give my clients. A part of history that even the French did not know about.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey honey, you have me intrigued....I must get these books. re the movie, I just adore Kristen too, she is so gifted.

    I'm off to catch up on your posts my love, been missing in action.
    xoxoxo DJ

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sarah's Key was one of my favorite books that I read last year...thank you SO much for the tip about the new book by the same author! I am ordering it on Amazon today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am a lover of books and stories of people.
    It is always fun to read a book that other's recommend. I have been happily surprised by how many books I have enjoyed this way. And on occassion I found a book that didn't fit with me, but I tasted and that is what matters. I shall look into these books very soon.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails